Experienced 18 Wheeler Accident Attorneys in El Paso, Texas
If you’ve ever witnessed an accident that involves a large commercial truck such as an 18 wheeler, a semi, or a tractor-trailer, then you know these accidents can be devastating. While the injuries caused by these 18 wheeler accidents can include minor bumps and bruises, injuries more often include broken bones, severe burns, and lacerations, and in some instances, the injuries can be fatal. Truck accident injuries can be permanently disfiguring and debilitating and can lead to a lifetime of extensive and costly medical treatment. However, you shouldn’t have to pay for this treatment and other accident-related expenses if the accident was caused by the actions or inactions of another. To protect your right to compensation, contact the experienced 18 wheeler Accident Attorneys at the Aranda Law Firm today by calling us today.
18 Wheeler Accident Statistics
In 2015, more than four thousand people died, and approximately 116,000 more were injured in accidents involving large trucks. Texas had the highest number of large truck accident fatalities that year at 561. The majority of large truck accident fatalities are the occupants of passenger vehicles. This is not surprising given that a fully-loaded 18 wheeler can be twenty to thirty times the weight of a passenger vehicle, and the height of a large truck is significantly taller. The size and weight discrepancy between a large truck and a passenger vehicle contribute to the vulnerability of passenger vehicle occupants.
Common Contributing Factors Leading to 18 Wheeler Accidents
Many factors cause and contribute to 18 wheeler accidents. Some of the common causes of accidents involving large trucks include:
- Truck Driver Fatigue. Truck drivers are required by federal law to limit the amount of time they drive per week. Although this can help prevent tiredness and fatigue, driving long stretches at a time can wear on any driver.
- Distracted Driving. Accidents are oftentimes caused by drivers who are distracted by texting, talking on their cellphone, or entering directions into a navigation system.
- Speeding or Failing to Obey Other Traffic Laws. Many truck accidents are caused by drivers who exceed the speed limit. Truck drivers sometimes speed because they might be on strict timelines.
- Improper or Poor Truck Maintenance. Truck companies must properly maintain and upkeep their trucks. If equipment such as tires or brakes aren’t checked on a regular basis, and a malfunction causes an accident, the truck company can be held responsible for the accident.
Inclement Weather. Driving too fast for wet or icy conditions sometimes leads to accidents.
- Braking Time. Because a fully-loaded 18 wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, it can take a large truck twenty to forty percent longer to stop than a passenger vehicle. This discrepancy is greater when road conditions are wet or slippery.
- Inexperience or Lack of Proper Training. If a truck driver has not had the proper training or lacks experience, they can pose a hazard on the road.
Liability in an El Paso Truck Accident Case
If you’ve been in an accident involving a large truck, it is important to realize that not only might the truck driver be found liable for your injuries, but oftentimes, the trucking company can also be found liable. In addition, other defendants in a truck accident case can include those who are responsible for maintaining the truck, and any other drivers that may have caused or contributed to the accident. Because truck accident cases can be complex, particularly when multiple defendants are involved, it is imperative that you consult with an experienced 18-wheeler Accident Attorney who has the skills and expertise necessary to investigate your truck accident claim and help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
Contact the Experienced 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyers at the Aranda Law Firm Today!
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in an accident involving an 18 wheeler or other large commercial truck, you should contact an experienced 18 wheeler Accident Attorney immediately. 18 wheeler accidents can be complicated and are not always easy to prove given that in many cases, there are a number of individuals or entities involved, or a variety of factors caused or contributed to the accident. At the Aranda Law Firm, our team of dedicated and knowledgeable attorneys can help you achieve the best possible results in your truck accident case. Call us today to schedule your consultation.
Aranda Law Firm
2507 N Stanton St.
El Paso, TX 79902
TX: (915) 201-0432
NM: (575) 386-5100